Bumping it up to the next level

This month, I started studying with Rebecca Fisher, founder of Tell it on Tuesday, the Berkeley- based performance series. I saw Rebecca perform her epic one woman show, "The Magnificence of the Disaster" twice at the Marsh. Rebecca puts her entire body into the storytelling performance and uses unsual props and sound effects. She's an up and coming talent, a rising star in the performance art world, but is already teaching and mentoring others.

There are 8 storytellers in our class. Each has a different gift, a different angle, a different life experience. I'm probably the least theatrical in the group -- my storytelling comes from my experience as a writer and journalist, and it's based in the narrative, the craft of the word, rather than the sound, expression or the movement of those words. Some approach the story from the art of theatre -- I approach it from the craft of writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment